Tuesday, December 8, 2015

What's Up? So Much is happening.

First and Foremost I want to thank everyone for being there for me and my family when I had to take Mel to the ER because we thought he was having a heart attack. Being alone in the ER with your spouse of 25 years and thinking this is the day I have to say good bye was the most scariest day of my life. One quick text to my sister in law and I knew I wouldn't be alone for long. Some good things came out of that harrowing  experience though. Mel did not have a heart attack but is preemptive of one because of high blood pressure and other factors, and because of those early signs we are able to do whatever we can to counter act or lessen the chances of a heart attack.
 I want to share a poem that I came across during all the chaos of the last 3 months and then again when I brought Mel home from the hospital. It's title is "The Dash"  by Linda Ellis

The Dash
I read of a man who stood to speak 
at the funeral of a friend.

He referred to the dates of her tombstone
From beginning to end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth 
And spoke of the following date with tears.

But he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For the dash represents all the time 
That she spent alive here on earth.

And now only those who loved her 
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash.

What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you would like to change?

For you never know how much time you have left,
That still can be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough 
To consider what is true and real.

And always try to understand 
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more

And love the people in our lives 
Like we have never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile

Remembering that this special dash 
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read 
With your life's actions to rehash

Would you be proud of the things they say 
About how you spent your dash?



For my own reasons after reading this again when I was home again with Mel I sat and just sobbed. You go through life thinking you have all the answers and no matter what through thick or thin you stand tall and strong. I realized I do not have all the answers that life throws my way, but I do have experience to guide me and Faith that leads me.  Nor am I strong, but again Faith, Family and Love will be there.
My advice to all is this..... You have but one chance, there are no do overs. Love life and all it offers. Love and listen to the wonders of your children, laugh at the silliness of nothing, forgive the mess on the wall as a memory. Because as Linda Ellis said "Would you be proud on how you spent your dash?"

Making joyful music

Sierra on the gathering drum

Sierra taking a snack break

Talin on the large Croking Frog

Sierra Beckett Brennon Drum roll please

Brennon showing Sierra more drum moves

Brielle on the Pan flute

No comments:

Post a Comment